Monday, November 7, 2011

Work in Progress - tackling 16 candleholders in a month and a half

I got an Etsy message last week that was both exciting and terrifying at the same time:
A woman in Michigan commissioned me to make (16) 4x4 candleholders for her to give to all of her employees on their birthdays next year - which is awesome (and she paid me up front), but also super scary because now I really have to do a good job!  Not that I wouldn't have anyway, but I feel like when there's a lot of money involved and they give you free reign to do whatever you want there's a lot more pressure to make sure you don't disappoint them.

I've been a little worried, especially with the amount of time I have to do them.  Normally getting an order in the beginning of November that isn't due until the very end of December is plenty of time, but when you're working a 60-hour work week on top of trying to get other orders from co-workers and friends finished (and preparing for a craft fair!) it can get a bit daunting.  But somehow yesterday I was able to get the patterns decided and the glass cut for ALL 16 of them!  It had to have been that extra hour we gained with the time change. :)  Magically I had enough glass and enough time (even after doing 5 loads of laundry) to get it done - and I've been able to use the grinder and clean all the glass for 6 of them.  They're sitting beside me here at work in case I have some spare minutes to start putting the copper foil on them (yes, work is nice enough to let me do that when I have time).  I have to say, being able to tackle that hurdle has been a huge relief - now I just need to get them all finished.  But I have a little under two months for that, right? ;)

Here's a picture of the glass piles for all 16 candleholders:
I made sure to get at least one of every color of the rainbow!

I will definitely update as the process goes on - fingers crossed it all goes smoothly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment